Sunday, March 18, 2012

d.i.o. headboard

Back in November, I decided I was tired of our college-looking, sans headboard bed.  Obviously, with a new house, new exciting expenses (i.e. shovels, lawn mower, garden hose, ladder), we didn't want to spend $600 on a new headboard.  So I put my D.I.O. (do it ourselves) thinking cap on and thought of some  options.  I love the look of the massive headboards in nice hotels and wanted the same for our room. 

So, we headed to Home Depot to check things out.  First, we thought about using MDF boards (2'x4') and drilling them into the wall.  But then the headboard would be about 2 feet wider than the bed and we didn't want that.  We walked over to the doors and windows section and checked out the hollow, panel doors. We decided to go with three 28"x80"doors at $23 a piece.  This way, it would only be about 2" on each side of the mattress yet tall enough to have the dramatic look I wanted.

Before:

We had to remove the random, 1970s light and light switch so we could add the doors.


My electrician, Ehren, tucking all the capped wires into the wall so it is flush.  Don't you love the candlestick light?
Up go the doors.  Cozy is already exhausted.
If you ever need advice on a project and you're at Home Depot, my sister said to "ask the oldest man with the dirtiest apron".  When we needed to know how to drill a hollow object into a solid stud, we asked said employee.  He told us there is about 1 solid inch around the perimeter of the doors.  We found the studs in the wall and drilled into them (staying within that solid inch).  We also learned the hard way to make "pilot holes" prior to drilling in the wood screws.  We're learning a lot, I tell ya.


Next, I primed the doors with white, interior primer.  It took about 3 coats to cover completely.  The nice thing about primer is that it dries fast (approximately 1 hour between coats) and rolling it was super quick.  Once it was dry, I started the labor-intensive process off taping off the chevrons.

Since the headboard is seven feet wide, I made each chevron one foot wide.  Five hours later (ughhh) I was done taping and it looked like this...



The easiest part was painting within the tape and the funnest (I know that's not a word) part was ripping off the tape.  The time-consuming taping and measuring was way worth it.

We got new nightstand lights that were more proportional to the height of the bed.  IKEA of course. 

Ooooh, details. 







I'm a little obsessed, can you tell?  I love that it's the focal point of the room.  It has that contemporary, crisp feeling that I'm looking for in this house.  It's amazing what you can do with a few doors and a couple cans of paint.  Plus, Ehren is happy that I saved us at least $500 - who wouldn't be?


11 comments :

  1. i love your headboard!!! i was planning on painting that exact same thing on the sub-flooring in my office this weekend...i just pulled up the carpet and we can't afford to put wood in yet. i was gonna make it sort of like a faux rug with gray and white chevron, but i don't have the patience to tape it all! was your trip to ikea the one in denver?? or where is the closest one to you guys? we're gonna be out your direction at the end of april (flying into KC and driving to Topeka), if you're around i'd love to see your house (and you guys) in person!!! i think i still have ehren's number if it hasn't changed lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, kacie! it was definitely a lot of work to tape all of that off but worth it. yes, we went to the IKEA in denver, the only other closer one is in minneapolis :( we should be around that weekend that you're nearby, keep us update on your plans! we would love to see you and show you our house.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the explicit directions with pictures. Hitting both sides of the brain. I need that. I'm passing this along to my sister who just bought a Murphy bed for her guest room. She'll love this. Awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks phyllis! i'm a very visual person and learn by observing. let me know what your sister thinks of it! i'm enjoying your blog, too :)

      Delete
  3. Came here by way of YHL. Love the picture of Cozy getting cozy! Your house is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is always cozied up somewhere.. especially during DIY adventures :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice. No one would ever know they're doors. And I love the grey/white chevron design. Just a thought for anyone who wants to do this; I noticed you can see the seems in between where the doors meet. I would have covered those seems with paintable caulk pre-priming/painting. You can squeeze caulk all the way down the seem and then smooth it out. By the time it's all painted, you won't even see that there was ever a seem. But all in all, it looks good. Nice job : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about doing that and will probably do it someday!

      Delete
  5. Hi guys! I came over from YHL and I love this headboard! Our bed is in great need of a headboard and I now HAVE to do this :) Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Love what you've done there! How did you work it with the skirting boards? Wouldn't it sit away from the wall slightly and not be flush? Or did you remove them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We just stacked the doors on top of the baseboards and went from there.

      Delete

the black plague, part III: front door

Now the black plague has moved to the front door.  While I think the "rustic" and "distressed" look has its place, I do...

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016