Tuesday, April 30, 2013

triple Ds.

No, not my bra size.  Actually, definitely not my bra size.  Dinner, drinks, Downton.  That's what "triple Ds" stands for in the Feldmeyer house.    Like I've mentioned here  and here we love date nights at home.  And ever since we jumped on the Downton Abbey bandwagon, we look forward to them even more.  We started season one awhile back and have been watching 1-2 (sometimes 3... or 4) on Friday nights. Ehren admitted to me that it's one of his favorite shows on TV.  Am I lucky or what?


So obviously we had drinks (wine, duh) and watched Downton Abbey.  But for dinner we had whore's style spaghetti.  What's that you say?  By that I mean puttanesca.  A classic Italian pasta with tomatoes, capers, olives, and garlic.  Puttana means whore in Italian and the meal got it's name because, basically, it's so easy, a prostitute could make it between customers.

Side story: My father shared the origin of puttanesca when we had our weekly Saturday morning coffee date at our house.  He's the smartest man I know, full of trivia and random facts and can finish a crossword puzzle faster than anyone I know.  In fact, one time I timed him.  He did a New York Times Monday crossword puzzle in 6 minutes and 34 seconds.  I don't think I could even read through the clues that fast.  My dad seems to be an expert in nearly every field.  Except for laundry.  And vacuuming.  

Like most of our meals, I got the recipe from this book.




What I love about this recipe is that everything, except for the fresh parsley, is something you can have on hand without it spoiling.  All the ingredients come in a can, a jar, or a box.  I actually had this meal planned a week before and was unable to make it; luckily nothing went to waste.  Seriously, who would have thought I would buy anchovies one day?  (I was one of those kids who only ate tan foods - bread, butter, noodles, potatoes, etc.)


Make your husband eat one so they don't go to waste.



Chop up anchovies and garlic, throw it in a skillet with some EVOO and red pepper flakes.



Add tomatoes and simmer until thickened.


Drink some wine in the mean time.


 Add tuna, olives, and capers.




 Then add fresh parsley.


Mix with spaghetti, plate, and add some parmesan.


Then take that classy meal and sit at your dining room table with your new fancy chairs sit in front of the TV and eat at the coffee table.  Me sitting on the floor, Ehren leaning over the coffee table making a mess on the floor.  Push play and enjoy Downton and all it's glory.


Then put your dog in a headlock.


Then offer him some beer as an apology.


Cheers to another successful date night at home with sweats, no make up and a meal even a whore would enjoy.

1 comment :

  1. Lol. Thanks for the fun fact - and that pasta looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

the black plague, part III: front door

Now the black plague has moved to the front door.  While I think the "rustic" and "distressed" look has its place, I do...

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016