Wednesday, February 19, 2014

baby bump: 33 weeks

How far along:  33 weeks.

Size of baby:  Durian fruit.  WTF is that?  

Maternity clothes:   Some of my shirts are starting to get a little short in the front. 

Weight gain:  20+ pounds of baby love and… other stuff. 

Sleep:  Starting to have more trouble falling back asleep after I get up to go to the bathroom.  It's kind of frustrating but that's what Facebook and Pinterest are for, right?

Exercise:  Yes. 

Best moment of the week:  Finally bringing back our "date night at home" tradition.  We've been so busy that we haven't had a Friday night to just chill, make dinner, and watch our favorite shows/movie.  I know life is going to dramatically change but I'm excited that this tradition is possible to maintain after she is here.  Yes, it may get interrupted, but it can still be something to look forward to every week.

We also did a very fast maternity photo shoot this weekend.  I knew I wanted to take some pictures with Ehren on our nice camera as opposed to my iPhone but I knew I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars doing so.  We just had my sister take some of us and then Ehren took the rest.  I think they turned out pretty well considering my amniotic fluid was practically frozen!

Movement:  When doesn't she move?  Sometimes when she kicks my ribs and punches my pelvis at the same time it startles me.  She starts moving the second I swallow something which I find hilarious.  I would say she loves food as much as her mom and dad?  I can only comfortably eat if I'm reclined back or standing up.  If I'm sitting normally at a dining room chair, neither one of us is comfortable. 

Cravings:  I'll eat anything. 

Belly button in or out:  I swear it could have its own twitter handle.  @jamiesbellybutton possibly?

Wedding ring on or off:   On. 

Anything making you queasy or sick:  Oh, ya know, just the smell of other people's poop.  Is that not a part of your day to day?  

What I miss:  Sitting in whatever position feels comfortable to ME.  But I guess I better get used to it not being about me anymore.  

What I am looking forward to:  Getting the nursery done.  Especially before we have one of the baby showers at our house in a couple weeks. 

What I am not looking forward to:  Feeling "done" with being pregnant.  It's been 99% pleasant but I feel like the honeymoon is coming to an end.  However, I know many people who have miserable pregnancies so I'm not complaining.  

Labor signs:   More contractions.  Nothing painful or regular but they are definitely happening a lot more often. 

Symptoms:  A little less DIY motivation, a little more fatigue. 

Nursery:  It's definitely coming along!  The big stuff is done and now it's time for details and trim work which is my least favorite part. 

Emotions:  It's just feeling more real as the weeks remaining are in single digits.  We did our childbirth class this weekend and it definitely made it feel real.  As we watched the videos (of a real baby coming out of a real woman) I thought to myself… "Eh, I don't really want to do this."  I think it was good for Ehren to be there and have more understanding of what it's going to be like and how my emotions may vary as we progress.  

I like to say that my life is like a musical being married to Ehren.  He was a vocal performance major at KU and music is his passion.  If you say a random word, it could trigger him to sing a song with that word in it.  One time over Christmas break, my dad caught on to the fact that Ehren does this frequently.  He decided to make a game out of it and we tried to see how long it would take to trigger him to sing 10 songs.  I think we succeeded in less than 2 hours.  He had no idea.  Anyway, during childbirth class, the instructor talked about the "ring of fire" where the head kinda hangs out and, well, it burns.  So of course this triggered Johnny Cash's "Burning Ring of Fire".  I looked at him and said, "if you start singing that song when I'm pushing a kid out of my body I will slap you".  Gotta love him. 

Week in review:

I've continued to triple the amount of some of our week night meals.  I made three pans of turkey enchiladas from "The Book" as my family calls it.  


We call it "The Book" because we all (me, sister, mom, cousins, aunt) own it and as far as I know, my sister and I almost solely cook out of it.  You can find it here.  It's great because if my sister makes a recipe I've never made, she'll recommend it and vice versa.  They are all supposed to be around 30 minutes and there is a huge variety -  salads, soups, all meats, vegetarian, seafood, grilled, pasta, curries, sandwiches, pizza, etc.



It is so weird to make these meals knowing that we will eat them when we're parents to a tiny, loving, energy-sucking baby.


I don't know if Cozy was waiting to be fed or waiting for snowmageddon to start.


After my grandma's funeral, I took bereavement and I was able to be home for the huge snow storm we had  - 14 inches!  When Cozy runs around outside in the snow, it's sometimes hard to see him… until you see the brown spots floating around the yard.


He wanted to frolic along the fence with his GSP neighbor, Sam.


Ehren was so kind to sand the dresser drawers.  You can always find Cozy around our latest DIY project… unless it involves a nail gun/air compressor.


Luckily Ehren's job allows him to work from home every once in a while.  I really enjoy this benefit when it means he doesn't have to try and drive to Topeka in over a foot of snow.  Less worrying for me.  I really wish I could work from home… in my robe.


While I painted, Cozy slept on the paint cloth using his toy as a pillow.  Ugh, he melts my heart.



Looking good, don't you think?  As in the drawers.  I know Cozy always looks good.


I started working on the mirror for the nursery and I think this was the first time Cozy ever saw a mirror on the ground.  He did the cutest little head tilts and even tried to lick himself in the mirror.  So cute.


Sometimes Ehren we like to put toys on his head.


We also got to dog sit Kupper and of course Cozy loved the company.


For our Friday night date night, I made short rib lasagna.  It was delicious!




Snow and DIY makes for a tired puppy.


Another week down, another week closer to D-Day.  

3 comments :

  1. Hi Jamie! Could you share the recipe for the short rib lasagna? Looks awesome! Also how did you cook your short ribs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durian grows only in Southeast Asia. It's huge and spiky and smells like garbage/wet dog. You need a machete to cut it open, and the fruit inside is a custardy texture, with a hint-o-onion flavor. My dad loves the stuff, from his time in Indonesia. So naturally, Ian wanted to try it when we went to Singapore (as a side trip just the two of us from visiting family in the Philippines). There is a saying that the first time you hate it, the second time you think it's okay, and the third time you're hooked. How people get to that third time, I have no idea!

    Anyway, congratulations, and I hope labor and delivery go smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - If you want entertainment while you're awake in the wee hours of the morning, you can watch Ian trying durian here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLpUvo3d2Hg and then read all the entertaining comments, mostly from Asian durian fans. I always get a kick out of those comments. :)

      Delete

the black plague, part III: front door

Now the black plague has moved to the front door.  While I think the "rustic" and "distressed" look has its place, I do...

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016