Wednesday, February 26, 2014

baby bump: 34 weeks

How far along:  34 weeks.

Size of baby:  Butternut squash.   

Maternity clothes:   Between my maternity shirts and Ehren's sweats and tees, I pretty much live in stretchy cotton 24/7. 

Weight gain:  Not a clue. 

Sleep:  I am still really good at this.  I cannot sleep in anymore even if I go to bed late.  I feel better if I get a little nap in when I get home but other than that I truck right along. 

Exercise:  With my job, I'm more active than most non-pregnant people 5 days a week.  I'm still taking the stairs at work, standing and walking most of the day, and lifting human beings.  

Best moment of the week:  Baby shower numero uno!  My mom and sister threw me an awesome shower with many of my friends in attendance.  It was great.  It made it seem very real - especially after opening gifts.  We officially have a lot of baby stuff!

Movement:  Yes, yes, yes.  I feel feet and elbows and butt and head.  She is an active little one and her movements are becoming more predictable - immediately after I start eating, when I sit down at work, when I eat a piece of candy, when I lie down.  It's still so strange that this a normal and regular occurrence in my day to day.    

Cravings:  Everything.  I used to be so picky when I was young, now I eat everything.  Hopefully she will have the eating habits of her dad.  I have heard that the greater variety of food you eat during pregnancy, the less picky the child will be.  I'm sure some of you moms out there are laughing at me right now but I didn't make this up.  I've eaten spicy Thai, Asian, Mexican, Italian, American, Indian, everything.   

Belly button in or out:  It's like my third nipple. 

Wedding ring on or off:   On. 

Anything making you queasy or sick:  Nope. 

What I miss:  Basically not having a giant growth on my front side.  This may sound ridiculous but having a big belly has made me understand what it's like to be overweight.  I work with patients who have large bellies and have difficulty with basic activities of daily living simply because of what we in the medical field call their "body habitus".  Getting out of bed is a struggle, putting on socks is time consuming and makes me breathless because of the compression on my lungs, sitting at a restaurant table feels tight and uncomfortable, and sitting in general isn't comfortable unless I'm slightly reclined.  My job is very much affected by the obesity epidemic - the bigger the patients get, the harder it is on my body.  Obviously pregnancy is very different than being overweight, but this insight just makes me want to encourage people to stay active and eat healthy. 

What I am looking forward to:  Oh, ya know, just getting this baby out of my body. 

What I am not looking forward to:  Getting bigger and more uncomfortable.  

Labor signs:  Lots of contractions.  Especially during work. 

Symptoms:  Because of the weekend's events and the baby shower, I'm absolutely exhausted.  I'm ready for the weekends to be restful instead of busier than the weekdays.   

Nursery:  It's pretty much done - except for touch ups like painting trim and covering up dings.  It feels so good and I think it's pretty darn cute as well!

Emotions:  I feel overwhelmed by all my friends, and gifts, and support from my family.  It makes me realize how much support we will have after she gets here.  

Week in review: 

Cozy enjoyed watching the Westminster Kennel Club dog show - especially when the German Wire-haired Pointer came on the screen.



 Husband's sweatpants + husband's t-shirt + dinner for 2 = prego life. 



We got the car seat in the mail this week!  


Ehren wanted to make sure he could still close deals while holding the carrier.  


 This is very typical of my boys.  


Valentine's day was this week and I had to get a picture of Cozy's heart-shaped spot on his side.  He's such a sensitive boy that he wears his heart on his fur. 


The anatomy nerd in me also has to note that on his other side, he has what looks like a set of lungs.  And on his butt, he has a kidney shaped spot.  And he's liver and white colored.  Okay, I'm done. 


I found some leftover almond bark so we dipped strawberries and pretzels for Valentine's Day.. yum!



We did some shopping in KC for nursery stuff and found some knobs at Anthropologie that we liked.  


We got a prego-sized container of animal crackers while running errands in KC.  I thought this could hold me over until we ate lunch at Spin! Pizza. 


When we were at Restoration Hardware, I saw this chair that reminded me of those wicker chairs that we sat in in elementary school for pictures.  Ehren proudly posed for a pic.  #dork.


My mom and sister outdid themselves for the baby shower we had at my house this weekend.  It was "shower" themed and adorable complete with balloon clouds and raindrops. 


My sister even made a cloud-shaped cake with sugar cookie raindrops.  I can't get over how creative she got for this shower!  All I requested was rice krispie treats. 


Before my sister set up this activity, she said "tell me if you think this is racist".  Whaat?!  And when I saw it, I understood.  People were to guess what combination of hair, skin and eye color our baby will have.  My sister came up with this idea and made all the faces out of construction paper.  So creative!


One of my classmates brought her little girl and of course Cozy was interested.  She lives with a yellow lab so she's used to having a large animal around and wasn't scared one bit.  Cozy gave her some up close and personal sniffs and kisses and watch from afar during her diaper change.  I can already tell he's going to be a great big brother. 


Thank you Katie (and mom) for an awesome shower!  We are so lucky to have you!


Ehren tried to put together the activity mat that we got from the shower, but after a couple (few?) beers at his manly get together, he needed some help from the designated instruction reader. 

 
34 weeks makes 40 weeks seem very close!  

No comments :

Post a Comment

the black plague, part III: front door

Now the black plague has moved to the front door.  While I think the "rustic" and "distressed" look has its place, I do...

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016